JOIN A CORPS OF CHANGEMAKERS DEDICATED TO BUILDING A BETTER NORTH CAROLINA
Become a high-impact early literacy tutor. Earn a living wage supporting students and the schools that serve them. Apply by 7/6
The COVID-19 pandemic has had a drastic impact on students across our state.
The pandemic caused significant social-emotional stressors and loss of in-person support and instruction. We are activating passionate community members like you to serve as high-impact early literacy tutors to support K-3 students who need it most.
Can You Imagine if Every K-3 Student Had an Early Literacy Tutor?
That’s the future we can create together. A future where every NC student has opportunities to thrive. The North Carolina Education Corps recruits, educates, and deploys motivated community members to serve as high-impact early literacy tutors, support students, and accelerate learning.
Leveraging your talents to support NC students and teachers
As a high-impact tutor with NC Education Corps, you’ll work with students one-on-one or in small groups to accomplish specific literacy goals. We’ll equip you with the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction’s high-quality Reading Research to Classroom Practice training grounded in the science of reading and reading instruction, and you will help our youngest learners transition from learning to read to reading to learn. This year, we are recruiting 250 corps members to serve students across the state. Apply by 7/6 for priority consideration.
Who are our corps members?
At NC Education Corps, we pride ourselves on nurturing a corps of dedicated members who are:
- Go-getters -- Corps members aren't afraid to take the initiative to best support students (under the guidance of PSU staff).
- Flexible -- Corps members can adapt to changes in their day-to-day routine at their assigned school. Their focus is to support students, teachers, and schools.
- Positive -- Corps members know that success starts with your attitude. They are upbeat and excited to support students, teachers, and schools!
- Passionate -- Corps members have a strong 'why' for their work. They may be interested in pursuing education or tutoring as a long-term career, are a retired teacher who wants to give back to students, or may be a parent with 10 -15 hours a week to support NC students!
The 2021 - 2022 corps will offer two types of PT positions based on PSU need, 10 - 15 hours/week and 20 - 25 hours/week
Where our corps members will serve
Since January, over 200 Education Corps members have been hired across 20 North Carolina school districts. Our tentative school partners for 2021 - 2022 are reflected on the map below.
Tier 1 (most economically distressed)
- Bladen County Schools
- Cherokee County Schools
- Halifax County Public Schools
- Henderson Collegiate
- Hertford County Public Schools
- Martin County Schools
- Northampton County Schools
- Pitt County Schools
- Scotland County Schools
- Vance County Schools
- Weldon City Schools
- Ashe County Schools
- Granville County Schools
- Guilford County Schools
- Lexington City Schools
- Newton-Conover City Schools
- Stanly County Schools
- Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools
Tier 3 (least economically distressed)
- Durham Public Schools
- Iredell-Statesville Schools
- Johnston County Schools
- Transylvania County Schools
- Wake County Public School System
Commitments that Ensure Success for our Corps Members and the Students they Serve
NC Education Corps will:
- Stay connected to applicants throughout the hiring process and recommend qualified candidates to participating schools
- Equip corps members with excellent cohort-based training, professional development, and ongoing support for lasting impact
- Create opportunities to network with education professionals and leaders in your school and across the state
School Partners will:
- Hire and onboard corp members
- Compensate corps members with a living wage for their valuable time serving students and schools. (School partners set hourly rates beginning at $13.15/ hr)
- Provide day-to-day support for corps members
- Commit to nine months of part-time paid service as a high-impact early literacy tutor at your assigned school during the school day (7:30 am – 4:00 pm)
- Attend high-impact pre-service training
- Join a community of inspired state-wide corps members
Together we will build a better North Carolina where all students have access to high-impact tutoring and opportunities to thrive.
Join The Movement
Complete our simple application, which opens on 6/15. Once matched with a school partner, begin the school hiring process (warning: this part may be tedious).
We will equip you to serve K-3 students as a literacy tutor. We’ll provide high-impact training and community-building with other corps members.
You will commit to nine months of life-changing service employed directly by a school district. We will support you with coaching and training throughout the year.