NC Education Corps Application
Tutor | Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools
Thank you so much for your interest in the North Carolina Education Corps. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We will be in touch with you if you advance to the next round in our application process.
This application does not allow you to save your answers and come back. Please be prepared to complete the application in full.
Questions about the application? Email us email@example.com.
Tutors will assess, assist and encourage students in the learning processes. In Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools they will focus on improving elementary school students’ code-focused reading skills (phonics and fluency). Tutors will receive training and support throughout their service. Tutors will also provide additional program support, including parent/family communication.
Corps members will receive training through HELPS Education Fund. Please read these FAQs before proceeding with your application.
- Schedules tutoring appointments with parents and students and arrive on time and prepared for the day’s lesson.
- Works with lead teachers to use educational materials to further demonstrate subject matter to be covered in tutoring sessions.
- Assesses the progress of assigned students to ensure effective processes
Plan creative lessons to engage and educate students.
- Finds a quiet workspace for tutoring safely.
- Establishes a friendly, encouraging and welcoming environment for students.
- Connects with parents and keep them informed of student’s progress and areas to be improved.
- Reports back to the assigner (teacher, counselor etc) on the hours and progress.
- Promotes high standards for academic success and behavior and continually encourage students to meet them.
- Consistent access to a personal, reliable computer/laptop device and reliable Internet.
- Ability to work 20-25 hours/week, 3-5 days/week, 5-8 hours/day.
- Successfully participate in virtual training for specific tutoring interventions.
- Participation in continuous coaching as professional development.
- Pass a CMS background check.
- Positive and professional communication with elementary-aged students.
- Enjoyment of reading aloud - modeling reading for students.
- Ability to attend 100% of reading sessions, training, and job-related meetings. (Note: Children’s success depends on tutors’ mastery of each program’s tutoring concepts - it helps them progress through their reading improvement.)
- Familiarity with the Zoom platform and Google Docs.
- Ability to enter data - basic numbers - into an Excel sheet (tutors will be administering and recording results of diagnostic and placement assessments).
- Ability to deliver positive and professional communication with students’ families through Remind101, email, texts, phone calls, etc (regular communication with families of students for attendance supports and session updates).
- Proficiency with creating and facilitating Zoom meetings and breakout rooms
Interested in continuing on through the school year.
- Prior experience with phonics and/or reading intervention training as teachers, teaching assistants, paraprofessionals or volunteers.
- Charlotte-area residence, with access to transportation, as in-person program needs arise.
- Comfort with Zoom and phone apps to support families and students with some technical assistance and troubleshooting.