JOIN A CORPS OF CHANGEMAKERS DEDICATED TO BUILDING A BETTER NORTH CAROLINA
Help students in your community learn to read. Apply to be a high-impact tutor today!
Essential Aid in the Classroom
As young readers struggle to regain ground, we have an opportunity to step up and accelerate one-on-one and small group engagement in the classroom. Apply today to become a high-impact literacy tutor and change the lives of students in your community.
Can You Imagine if Every K-3 Student Had an Early Literacy Tutor?
That’s the future we can create together. A future where every NC student has opportunities to thrive. The North Carolina Education Corps recruits, educates, and deploys motivated community members to serve as high-impact early literacy tutors, support students, and accelerate learning.
Leveraging your talents to support NC students and teachers
As a high-impact tutor with NC Education Corps, you’ll work with students one-on-one or in small groups to accomplish specific literacy goals. We’ll equip you with high-quality training, and you will help our youngest learners transition from learning to read to reading to learn. Start the process today.
What Makes a Corps Member?
North Carolina Education Corps is composed of entrepreneurs, stay-at-home parents, retirees, college students, and other individuals from all walks of life. This diverse group of people is driven by a single common mission: They are determined to make a difference.
Corps members are employed (yes, paid!) by their local school districts to serve as part-time literacy tutors — adding critical capacity in elementary classrooms across North Carolina.
Your potential to make a difference in a child’s life is not defined by a degree in elementary education or experience in the education field. Rather, it is defined by your capacity to be there.
Meet a corps member
- Ashe County Schools
- Bladen County Schools
- Buncombe County Schools
- Burke County Schools
- Cherokee County Schools
- Craven County Schools
- Cumberland County Schools
- Durham Public Schools
- Exploris School
- Granville County Schools
- Guilford County Schools
- Halifax County Schools
- Hertford County Public Schools
- Hoke County Schools
- Johnston County Schools
- Mount Airy City Schools
- Newton-Conover City Schools
- Orange County Schools
- Pamlico County Schools
- Rocky Mount Prep
- Scotland County Schools
- Stanly County Schools
- Surry County Schools
- Vance County Schools
- Wake County Public School System
- Weldon City Schools
- Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools
Commitments that Ensure Success for our Corps Members and the Students they Serve
NC Education Corps will:
- Stay connected to applicants throughout the hiring process and recommend qualified candidates to participating schools
- Equip corps members with excellent cohort-based training, professional development, and ongoing support for lasting impact
- Create opportunities to network with education professionals and leaders in your school and across the state
School Partners will:
- Hire and onboard corps members
- Compensate corps members for their valuable time serving students and schools. (School partners set hourly rates beginning at $13.15/ hr)
- Provide day-to-day support for corps members
- Commit to part-time paid service as a high-impact early literacy tutor at your assigned school during the school day (7:30 am – 4:00 pm)
- Attend high-impact pre-service training
- Join a community of inspired state-wide corps members
North Carolina is stronger when all students have the support they need to thrive.
Join The Movement
Complete our simple application. Once matched with a school partner, begin the school hiring process (warning: this part may be tedious).
We will equip you to serve K-3 students as a literacy tutor. We’ll provide high-impact training and community-building with other corps members.
You will commit to a life-changing service as a high-dosage literacy tutor employed directly by a school district. We will support you with coaching and training throughout the year.