JOIN A CORPS OF CHANGEMAKERS DEDICATED TO BUILDING A BETTER NORTH CAROLINA
Become a high-impact early literacy tutor and help students in your community learn to read. Join the waitlist to learn when applications open this summer.
The COVID-19 pandemic has had a drastic impact on students across our state.
The pandemic caused a significant loss of in-person support and instruction. We are activating motivated community members like you to serve as high-impact literacy tutors in schools across North Carolina to support K-3 students who need it most.
Join the waitlist today. We will contact you about opportunities to become a corps member for the 2022 - 2023 school year.
Can You Imagine if Every K-3 Student Had an Early Literacy Tutor?
That’s the future we can create together. A future where every NC student has opportunities to thrive. The North Carolina Education Corps recruits, educates, and deploys motivated community members to serve as high-impact early literacy tutors, support students, and accelerate learning.
Leveraging your talents to support NC students and teachers
As a high-impact tutor with NC Education Corps, you’ll work with students one-on-one or in small groups to accomplish specific literacy goals. We’ll equip you with high-quality training, and you will help our youngest learners transition from learning to read to reading to learn. Start the process today.
What Makes a Corps Member?
At NC Education Corps, we pride ourselves on nurturing a corps of dedicated members who are:
- Go-getters — Corps members aren't afraid to take the initiative to best support students (under the guidance of PSU staff).
- Flexible — Corps members can adapt to changes in their day-to-day routine at their assigned school. Their focus is to support students, teachers, and schools.
- Positive — Corps members know that success starts with your attitude. They are upbeat and excited to support students, teachers, and schools!
- Passionate — Corps members have a strong 'why' for their work. They may be interested in pursuing education or tutoring as a long-term career, are a retired teacher who wants to give back to students, or may be a parent with 10 -15 hours a week to support NC students!
Meet a corps member
Where corps members have served
Since January 2021, over 200 Education Corps members have been hired across 24 North Carolina school districts. Our school partners for 2021 - 2022 are reflected on the map below.
- Ashe County Schools
- Bladen County Schools
- Cherokee County Schools
- Cumberland County Schools
- Durham Public Schools
- Granville County Schools
- Guilford County Schools
- Halifax County Schools
- Henderson Collegiate (Vance County)
- Hertford County Public Schools
- Iredell-Statesville Schools
- Johnston County Schools
- Lexington City Schools
- Martin County Schools
- Mount Airy City Schools
- Newton Conover City Schools
- Northampton County Schools
- Scotland County Schools
- Stanly County Schools
- Transylvania County Schools
- Vance County Schools
- Wake County Public School System
- Weldon City Schools
- Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools
Commitments that Ensure Success for our Corps Members and the Students they Serve
NC Education Corps will:
- Stay connected to applicants throughout the hiring process and recommend qualified candidates to participating schools
- Equip corps members with excellent cohort-based training, professional development, and ongoing support for lasting impact
- Create opportunities to network with education professionals and leaders in your school and across the state
School Partners will:
- Hire and onboard corps members
- Compensate corps members for their valuable time serving students and schools. (School partners set hourly rates beginning at $13.15/ hr)
- Provide day-to-day support for corps members
- Commit to part-time paid service as a high-impact early literacy tutor at your assigned school during the school day (7:30 am – 4:00 pm)
- Attend high-impact pre-service training
- Join a community of inspired state-wide corps members
North Carolina is stronger when all students have the support they need to thrive.
Join The Movement
Complete our simple application. Once matched with a school partner, begin the school hiring process (warning: this part may be tedious).
We will equip you to serve K-3 students as a literacy tutor. We’ll provide high-impact training and community-building with other corps members.
You will commit to a life-changing service as a high-dosage literacy tutor employed directly by a school district. We will support you with coaching and training throughout the year.